Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The President Gets It Right

Y'all know I'm no fan of Obama, but I thought his speech last night was nearly perfect. I was surprised by how many times I found myself nodding in agreement. I even said out loud "It looks like he finally grew a pair."

I was impressed that he recognized the reasons we were in Afghanistan, that he acknowledged the overwhelming support that congress gave to going there in the first place, and the urgency of winning the war there.

I could have done without the bashing of the previous administration for getting sidetracked in Iraq, but I had to admit he was correct in stating that it was Iraq that kept us from being successful in Afghanistan to date.

I think the Republican response, as voiced by John McCain, is disingenuous. They are correct that announcing a "date certain" for withdrawal gives strength to our enemies and distresses our allies. But I didn't hear that in Obama's speech. I heard him say that we would BEGIN to withdraw troops in 18 months. I also heard him say that the timetable to complete that withdrawal would depend on conditions in Afghanistan, that we would remain there until our mission is accomplished.

Kudos, Mr. President!

No comments:

Post a Comment