Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow day

It's snowing! It's been a couple of years since we had a good snow day here in Durham. It was very tempting to stay home, but as our HR department reminded us in an email yesterday, "Due to the nature of our business all of our employees are considered essential and are encouraged to make every effort to get to work during inclement weather." I didn't want to waste a PTO day, so here I am in the office.

Getting here was a bit of an adventure. First, someone in a big Ford SUV lost it on Hope Valley Road:
She was coming out of the neighborhood across from our apartment complex, and hit the gas a little too hard. She swerved to the right, over-corrected, and ended up in the ditch. I don't think her 4WD is going to get her out of there, either.

When I saw this happen, I almost decided to go back home. But then I realized that the road was really in pretty good shape, and she just screwed up. so I crossed my fingers in hopes that no one else would screw up, or at least that I would see them in time to avoid getting in their way.

Then there was this:
It's a little blurry because I was driving when I snapped the picture, and I was more "focused" on driving than on photography. I really feel sorry for the poor bastard on the bicycle. I hope he makes it ok to wherever he is headed. The driver of the Toyota, on the other hand... Right after I took this picture, she decided it was too scary to try to pass the bicycle. So for the next couple of miles we drove behind him at seven miles per hour.

But I did finally make it to work, and on time, too. It's mighty quiet around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment